On behalf of PeakCare, the Queensland Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Child Protection Peak (QATSICPP) and the Child and Family Welfare Association of Australia (CAFWAA), sincere appreciation to extended to ALL who contributed to making the BIG WEEK National Child Protection Conference a successful event. A BIG THANK YOU is sent to:
- Our keynote speakers, Stan Grant and Isaiah Dawe
- Our internationally renowned speaker, Dr James Anglin
- Members of the panel that led discussion about ‘Bringing a human rights lens into child protection, youth justice and other service systems encountered by children and families – Aimee McVeigh, Ruth Barson, Cameron Harsley APM, Michael Hogan and Scott McDougall
- Members of the panel that led discussion about ‘Responsibilities held by non-Indigenous non-government and government agencies concerning self-determination by Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples in relation to the safety, wellbeing and protection of their children’ – Natalie Lewis, Philip Brooks, Isaiah Dawe, Professor Boni Robertson and Richard Weston
- ALL presenters and members of panels from across the country who generously shared their wisdom and time – their names and abstracts can be located in theConference Program
- Child Safety Minister Di Farmer for her warm welcome during the Conference’s Welcome Reception, and
- The magnificent Brisbane Pride Choir for entertaining us so beautifully during the Welcome Reception
Special mention is made of the contributions made by Leanne Claussen, Parents on a Mission in presenting to us ‘Leanne’s Gift’ and the parents who participated in the‘Parents Who Lead’ presentation. It was sensational to have the voices of parents heard throughout the Conference.
Special mention is also made of the ‘stars’ of PeakCare’s short video, ‘What Lies Beneath the Words: the Sequel’ that had its premier screening during the Welcome Reception –CREATE Young Consultants, Brooke, Miriel and Ty plus Karen and Rachelle from the Department of Child Safety, Youth and Women and Nadia and Lenny from QATSICPP. Thank you!
Thanks are also extended to the many organisations who sponsored the Conference –Anglicare Southern Queensland, ACTCOSS’ Gulamga Program, The Benevolent Society, Child Wise, Churches of Christ in Queensland, Compass Seminars,Commsync, Department of Child Safety, Youth and Women, Foundations Care, House with No Steps, Infinity Community Solutions, Integrated Family and Youth Service (IFYS), Life Without Barriers, Mission Australia, Nature Play Qld, Parentline,Queensland Foster and Kinship Care, True Relationships and Reproductive Health,UnitingCare Community, and YCSS Child, Youth and Family Intervention Service – and to the businesses and individuals whose generous donations allowed some conference attendees (Susie Edwards from FIN in particular!) to leave with some amazing prizes – Australia Zoo, Corpcut Mobile Hairdressing, Channel Seven Wheel of Brisbane,Knowledge Partner Professionals, Jenny Wegener and Five Star Cinemas.
A very special thank you is also sent to PeakCare’s Annika Stehn for her patience, skills and expertise in coordinating the Conference and to ALL who attended and supported this event.
Thank you also to our friends and colleagues from QATSICPP for providing the opportunity for those who attended the conference to stay on and participate in the other BIG events held during Queensland’s BIG WEEK – the Masterclass Workshop led byProfessor Cindy Blackstock on Wednesday and the 2-day QATSICPP Members’ Conference. The BIG WEEK will conclude this evening with QATSICPP’s 10th Anniversary Dinner – a sensational ending to Queensland’s BIG WEEK.