QHRC – Human Rights Act for community advocates (Brisbane)
A three hour in person session for those working or volunteering in community organisations, who assist clients with advocacy, but are not legal advocates
This 3 hour course aims to help non-legal advocates based in community organisations learn how to use the Human Rights Act 2019 to advocate on behalf of their clients, or to help clients advocate on their own behalf. The course is an advanced module that builds on basic knowledge of the Human Rights Act gained in introductory training.
This is an interactive session that focusses on providing opportunities for participants to practice using the Human Rights Act for their advocacy work. Through real cases and scenarios, participants will explore the scope of the protected rights, and the potential for engaging with public entities to get better human rights outcomes for their clients.
Participants will learn:
- which organisations have responsibilities under the Human Rights Act 2019;
- to identify when situations may limit a person’s human rights;
- steps and good practice for human rights advocacy action;
- to assess whether less restrictive measures are reasonably available to improve the circumstances of their clients;
- what options and remedies may be available to achieve better human rights outcomes for clients;
- to plan for engaging with a public entity to advocate on behalf of clients;
- to use the language of the Act to communicate with the public entity and advocate on behalf of clients.
A pre-requisite for this course is that participants have a basic understanding of the Human Rights Act, preferably having completed an introductory course on the Human Rights Act 2019 (Qld), such as the online Public Entities and Human Rights Act 2019 course, or Introduction to the Human Rights Act course or webinar.
Date: Thursday, 8th June – 9am to 12pm
Venue:Room B, 63 George Street, Brisbane
Cost: $165 per person – A discounted fee for Human Rights Act for Community Advocates training is available for not for profit groups. If you believe you may be eligible for a fee reduction please tick ‘Request fee reduction’ as your pay method when completing your registration and a QHRC training officer will contact you to discuss your fee.