PeakCare & LWB – Child sexual exploitation and abuse: supporting SAFE and therapeutic conversations with young people
A free online sector forum exploring practical ways to support SAFE and therapeutic conversations with young people relating to child sexual exploitation and abuse
Across the sector we recognise that real solutions to complex social issues require a collective and collaborative response. We also know that many of these complex issues arise in areas that are often uncomfortable to think or talk about.
In collaboration with Life Without Barriers, PeakCare Qld is facilitating a sector forum on 21 February 2023 where subject matter experts will explore related themes and provide practical ways to support SAFE and therapeutic conversations with young people relating to child sexual exploitation and abuse.
Join us for this free online sector forum as we learn more about this important topic including:
- the prevalence of child sexual abuse and child sexual exploitation with a focus on trends and issues for children in care
- the value of resources in supporting conversations with young people regarding personal safety
- gaps and opportunities for better protecting young people from, and supporting young people who experience child sexual abuse
- the SAFE Books series, free resources to support conversations about safety with young children
- reporting obligations held by carers, practitioners and organisations when a young person discloses suspected sexual abuse, including an overview of relevant supporting information and resources.
A copy of the forum program is available here.
If you were not able to attend in person or would like to look back at any of the information presented, a recording of the session is now available.
We want to hear your feedback so we can keep improving our seminars and forums. Please fill this short two-minute survey and let us know your thoughts.
Useful links –
Check out the Project Paradigm website for a range of useful publications and resources including information on:
- dealing with a disclosure of abuse
- the process of control
- similarities between sexual and criminal exploitation
- the online risks of child sexual exploitation
Project Paradigm also provides training focused on understanding and preventing child sexual exploitation.
Check out the Bravehearts website for a wealth of information and education resources focused on the prevention and treatment of child sexual abuse including:
- resources to support parents and carers teach children about personal safety including a Personal Safety Guide for Parents and Carers, Information Sheets, and other recommended educational resources.
- personal safety education programs which focus on early years through to high school.
- The Turning Corners program which provides a comprehensive and integrated response to working with young people who have engaged in or are at risk of engaging in harmful sexual behaviours.
Sexual Violence Research and Prevention Unit
Check out the University of the Sunshine Coast’s Sexual Violence Research and Prevention Unit which contains a rich range of academic publications on understanding, preventing and responding to sexual violence. You can also join their mailing list to find out about:
- new research and initiatives across both Australia and internationally
- practice blogs
- upcoming training events
- professional membership opportunities.
Department of Children, Youth Justice and Multicultural Affairs
Check out the Department’s website for useful information and resources on:
- the signs of child sexual abuse
- examples of normal sexual behaviour for different age groups
- how to protect a child from sexual abuse
- how to get help and advice
- common myths about child sexual abuse and the facts.
A link to the online Child Protection Guide is available here.
SAFE Series Resources for Queensland organisations
For organisations who expressed interest in receiving free SAFE series books and supporting resources, our team will be in contact with your organisation shortly.
If you have any questions about the SAFE series book and supporting resources or would like any additional information, please contact Melinda Clarke and Cathy Webb by email at SAFEbooks@lwb.org.au
Date: Tuesday, 21st February – 10am to 12noon
Venue: Online via Zoom – click here to access the forum recording